The Association of American Cancer Institutes (AACI), American Cancer Society (ACS), and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are partnering for the third annual HPV Vaccine Is Cancer Prevention Champion Award. The award recognizes clinicians, clinics, practices, groups, and health systems that are going above and beyond to foster HPV vaccination in their communities. The program will honor up to one Champion from each of the 50 U.S. states, 8 U.S. Territories and Freely Associated States, and the District of Columbia.
Please note that guidance and the documents necessary for submission are provided on the website (www.cdc.gov/hpv/champions). State and territorial immunization program managers will coordinate the nomination and review process.
Minimum nomination requirements:
- Nominee must be a clinician, clinic, practice, group, or health system that treats adolescents as a part of their overall patient population.
- Nominee must have achieved a minimum vaccination coverage level of 60% series completion according to ACIP recommendations for the patient population aged 13–15 years seen in the last 24 months.
- The rate must account for both female and male patients. Vaccination under the two-dose schedule (two doses given at least five months apart in children ages 9–14 years) satisfies series completion, as does the original three-dose schedule.
Champions should also meet one or more of the following judging criteria:
- Leadership: The candidate is considered an authority on immunization in his or her community, medical system, or individual practice. Activities may include acting as a spokesperson, trainer, mentor, or educator.
- Collaboration: The candidate has worked to build support for and increase immunization rates in adolescents. Activities may include establishing or strengthening partnerships, coalitions, committees, working groups, or other programs.
- Innovation: The candidate has used creative or innovative strategies to promote immunization or address challenges to immunization in his or her practice, community, state, or region. Activities may include both new strategies and adapting existing strategies in new ways.
Coverage level data from DelVAX will be used for the series completion data. If you wish to be considered for this award, please ensure that all HPV Vaccinations have either been entered or submitted and your client roster is up to date in DelVAX.
Please contact Jim Talbott, Immunization and Vaccines for Children Director, with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org), or call 1-800-282-8672.
Previous Delaware Champions:
2018: Nemours duPont Pediatrics